Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wristwatch - fading away with time for Gen Y?

With cell phones, palmtops, e-readers, purses, bracelets, ipods all flashing the time of the day, just who needs a plain old wristwatch, claims Gen Y.

The ubiquitous wristwatch worn by the billionaire to the daily wager as more than an accessory is now being discarded for spanking new age devices that double up as time keepers.

Youngsters say conventional watches are an "extra burden" on their wrists. Schoolgoers however continue to opt for the sporty and flashy models of well-known brands. This they say is just because mobile phones are banned in schools and examination halls.

"I wear a watch mostly during exams in school but have to take extra care to not to break it while playing or exercising. For tutions, I take along my mobile which serves all my purposes", says Ritvik, a 17-year-old high schooler.

A shopkeeper who retails watches in Delhi says,"We are worried about our declining watch business due to the excessively growing demand for mobile phones that are getting cheaper by the day."

Changing lifestyles and mindsets towards standard working hours has also led to the ever growing irrelevance of the time machines. College students say they are least interested in buying a watch unless it adds to their style statement.

"It is not necessary to get up early now, so why would I need a watch? If required, I can set up alarm on my mobile phone, use the internet, sms my friends, listen to music...a watch cannot provide so much facilities!," says Pallabi, a final year student of Delhi University.

Die hard loyalists however find it hard to justify the absence of the wristwatch.

Jickson, a sophomore student says, "I believe a person without a watch is a careless or carefree guy. I just cannot leave my home without a watch!"

While the older generation is happy to flaunt their priced possessions like the HMT, younger counterparts prefer to flaunt the latest trendy designer look at the corporate level.

"I buy watches to match them with my clothes but for time keeping, there are other devices as well. Even overhead clocks at the metro station can do me that favour," says Ritika, a young journalist.

Antique watches are still prized by many as good gifting options and collectors flaunt them at social gatherings but few use it for more than just an accessory for beautification.

Source:http://in.news.yahoo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment