Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dating tips from mom!

It is your first date and you don’t know how to go about it? Well, turn to your parents for some valuable tips.

The idea may sound bizarre at first, but you still could give it a shot. And that’s what parents are willing to do and interestingly, kids too exhibit no qualms in letting their parents take a sneak peek in their love life.

Trust breeds acceptance
As psychologist VK Parsai recommends, “It is essential for parents to connect with their children, so that they develop a trusting bond over the years. If the initial approach is welcomed, kids will confide in their parents more often.” So, you don’t need to fret about sharing your feelings with your parents. In fact, go ahead and get ready for a jaw-dropping experience!

Says Shaswati Roy Chowdhury, student, “Though I have a large friends circle, I prefer my mom as my confidante. For my first date, she chose an apt outfit for me, and surprisingly even the venue.” Didn’t she have any apprehensions in revealing her plans? After all, it’s so personal. “I would be lying if I say no. Fortunately, my mother had no issues with it, for she has known him since my school days,” she laughs.
Her mom, Proniti Roy Chowdhury, agrees she didn’t have to be coaxed into letting her daughter go on her first date. “I was initially hesitant. But I was moved by her honesty and hence approved of it. Kids should be allowed to be themselves when they are over 18. Over interference can only complicate matters,” she says.

The earlier, the better?
School kids, as many agree, are too young to date. However, media professional Preeti Dhingra feels deciding an age bracket for such critical issues is juvenile. “It is a way to keep up with your offspring. But make sure you give your kids the space they want,” she says. Kanika sounds upbeat about the interest with which her mother shared a couple of dating tips. “My mother helped me buy a branded watch for my boyfriend. Isn’t that ultra cool?” she asks.

Her boyfriend,16, too had his dad drop him to the venue. “It is the rapport I share with my dad that made me confide in him. Interestingly, he got to know about it (through my mobile bills) before I discussed it with him,” he laughs.

Being rebellious helps
Jiya Sharma, 24, recalls how being a rebel helped her get her mother’s approval for her first date. “It did shock my mom, for that’s not what one expects from an 18-year-old. But knowing my rebellious nature, she couldn’t do much. Now, about six years down the line, I do realise how intelligently my mom handled the situation,” smiles Jiya. Her mom Neena too agrees it wasn’t an easy decision. “You have to evolve as a parent. A clear no would have meant a blatant rejection of her decision,” she explains.

So, don’t bracket your parents as ‘ancient’ anymore, and let them be a part of your personal lives. You would be surprised, they could come across as your best friend — loving you unconditionally — with the right tips and guidance, so that your love life sails through its rough patches and you remain chilled out.

Source:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment